Top 10 YA books of 2016

I usually do a post where I share my top YA picks of the year.  I'm a little behind as I was mega sick but now I'm feeling better.

So here's my list!

10. RUN

Loved this story of an unlikely friendship and where one character is openly bisexual but that's not the theme of this novel.  Mostly this is a story of the strength of friendship.  Totally loved!

9.  ALL WE HAVE LEFT

This novel brought back memories of 9-11.  What's a huge plus of this novel is how readers glimpse into the lives of two very unlikely people on that fateful day and how what happened still impacts family and friends today.  The author doesn't hide the racism that is still felt today.  But this is also a story of hope and forgiveness.

8. THIS SAVAGE SONG

Lush, beautifully written dark urban fantasy that doesn't disappoint! There's alliances, betrayals, secrets, monsters, and an omg worthy ending that gave me chills! My only disappointment is I have to wait another year for the sequel!


7. SOMETHING IN BETWEEN

A teen's struggle and fear with the recent news of being undocumented told in a real, authentic voice. I highly recommend this book to be included in libraries and high schools as it shows the human side of immigration.


6. A LIST OF CAGES

There’s so much to love about this novel which includes how powerful love and friendship are to those who feel abandoned and lost. Also it shows how you shouldn’t give up on someone if you think that friend might be in an abusive situation. It takes courage to stand up for someone in that kind of situation. But by standing up and being a true friend, you might save a life.

Powerful, courageous story with two characters that stand up to insurmountable odds and end up saving each other.

5. FRONT LINES

Highly addictive tale of what would have happened if women served in WWII. 

4. MEMORY GIRL

The Giver meets Divergent where memories of the long dead are given to others in order to never truly die. This novel also addresses some deep questions like the purpose of faith and where it belongs in a society based on science. The ending hints at a sequel. I hope so as I can't wait to see what else is in store for Jennza and her community.

3. THE WEIGHT OF ZERO

Fortunati nails the topic of bipolar disorder and gives a realistic portrayal of the depression side without falling back on stereotypes.  An honest voice with a cast of memorable supportive characters make this story a stand-out, along with its overall message of hope.

2. BEAST

There are other parts in this story that are equally heartbreaking like when he finds out the 'truth' in front of the school. I wanted to shout, "Dylan, don't do that!" I also loved Jaime something fierce. I loved her spunk, honesty, and even the times she opened up. She's someone that isn't the victim but rather a strong, positive character that I know readers are sure to connect with. This story isn't about her sexuality but rather how two unlikely characters can get over the stereotypes and hate out there and be together. If not as a couple, at least as good friends.

Beautifully written tale that brings two together against odds that are stacked against them. Mostly though it's a story that shows that love is love, no matter who it is.

1. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS

Intense, gripping portrayal of not only a shooter but others around him. Kuddos for the author for peeling back what might otherwise be an one-dimensional killer. What leads up to the massacre is shown in haunting details. I thought I'd have a hard time reading this considering I lost my own sister to gun violence. I had a really hard time for the longest time coming to grips with her murderer. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS shows not only the hatred but the misunderstandings, hurt, pain, and sadness of a shooting.

**Shout outs to 

SHAME THE STARS:

once again McCall delivers on a turn of the century Latino Romeo and Juliet story.  This story goes over an forgotten part of our history.

THE SERPENT KING

Southern Freak and Geeks meets The Perks of being a Wallflower. Bittersweet coming of age story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA Scavenger Hunt: Meet Amalie Howard

Blogfest 2012

Week #1 Motivation